Managing Incontinence at a resort

mirrored22

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hello there. I'm having a trip coming up in a couple weeks to a resort in the Dominican Republic. I'm getting pretty anxious as the trip is getting closer as I am not sure the best way for me to manage my incontinence issues while I am there.

I am starting to lose my confidence in my ability (and my desire) to manage these issues with underwear. The last few times I have tried to have been very unpleasant, either because I have higher frequency with leaks and bathroom trips or my tolerance for dealing with these issues has lowered as a result of leaning on diapers more. I am going with a group of people who do not know that I have incontinence issues or wear diapers and in the past I would abstain from doing so around them as I was very embarrassed and ashamed of all of this. I've made a lot of progress in the last year on that front but this feels like a big leap. I also know that diapers will create logistical challenges too at the resort, getting supplies to there, making sure I have enough, disposal, and discretion being many of the issues.

Have any of you guys been in this situation before and have any wisdom you can share?

Reactions: Neroforte, Edgewater, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
Greetings

You must not worry that will not help.

I am just honest now I tell the group travelling with especially if it is a tour group so that the organisers can plan in facilities for changing.

I would try and hide my incontinence but this did not help sharing helps.

Thanks to online ordering makes planning so much easier. I order ahead so that the diapers are ready in advance of where I am staying I take enough to get me through a few days.

I am 100% diaper dependent and just enjoy life. I wear a higher capacity diaper with tapes that can be re-fixed.

If you are swimming take two towels and make a poncho to give you privacy when changing. Make sure you properly clean yourself with fresh water to remove salt and sand.

I pack what people call an incontinence skirt for night time and add in my normal protection diaper, booster plastic pants the skirt is very absorbent I don’t consider this as a skirt though just a wrap around protective clothing that allows for ventilation. The skirt can be worn out and about too never done this yet but given was the only boy in the school netball team I am not afraid of skirts!

All I would say is plan share and relax.

Reactions: Edgewater, PadPhilosopher and mirrored22
mirrored22 said:
Hello there. I'm having a trip coming up in a couple weeks to a resort in the Dominican Republic. I'm getting pretty anxious as the trip is getting closer as I am not sure the best way for me to manage my incontinence issues while I am there.

I am starting to lose my confidence in my ability (and my desire) to manage these issues with underwear. The last few times I have tried to have been very unpleasant, either because I have higher frequency with leaks and bathroom trips or my tolerance for dealing with these issues has lowered as a result of leaning on diapers more. I am going with a group of people who do not know that I have incontinence issues or wear diapers and in the past I would abstain from doing so around them as I was very embarrassed and ashamed of all of this. I've made a lot of progress in the last year on that front but this feels like a big leap. I also know that diapers will create logistical challenges too at the resort, getting supplies to there, making sure I have enough, disposal, and discretion being many of the issues.

Have any of you guys been in this situation before and have any wisdom you can share?
I think worrying about it just makes it worse but I understand. When I need to be away either with friends or at a hotel, I make sure I have a carry on bag with my supplies inside and a few zip-lock freezer bags for disposal of wet diapers. These are heavier plastic and prevent odors if you can't dump them right away. I dispose in the outside garbage bins on my way to the car or at a gas station but first put them in a black or gray coloured bag to hide them from view. If I need to leave in the hotel bathroom bin I leave a $5 tip on the counter for housekeeping.

Reactions: Edgewater, PadPhilosopher and mirrored22
Your way over thinking it but I understand...I have been to several resorts discretion isn't as hard as you imagine...and disposal isn't difficult either and depending on what airline you are traveling you can have one free checked bag of medical supplies....take more than you think you'll need .... It's really not as bad as it is in your head...I promise 😊 been there done that and it went very well .. . nobody noticed anything and my Ic didn't stop me from having a good time

Reactions: Edgewater, Angelapinks, PadPhilosopher and 2 others
I can completely understand how you feel as I have been there too as many others here have done too. With regards to supplies, you could get them sent ahead to your hotel or, as others have said, you can ask your airline for an extra baggage allowance for medical supplies which is what I have done. The other important thing is to make sure you have protection that will cope with your IC without having to have too many changes and also to think about how easy it will be to change. I wear the Tena Slip Active Fit adult nappies, which are a taped nappy. Pull ups cannot cope with my wetting and are a pain to change. Changing into swimming trunks and of and back into a nappy afterwards is tricky and on those occasions maybe a pull up would be easier and more discreet as you are having to completely undress anyway. On the plus side, plenty of opportunity to empty one’s bladder in the sea! Due to a spinal injury I don’t have any feeling of needing to wee but if swimming in a pool I always make sure I empty my bladder as best I can before I enter the pool.
If you are going with friends maybe there is someone you can confide in too. Also, from experience, I don’t believe any one has ever really noticed that I haven’t wear nappies. Or if they have they have never said anything. Better to be well protected that experience a wet bed or wet clothing.
I hope that helps.
Enjoy your trip.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Angelapinks and Edgewater
Truly great advise provided by all responders!!

You really need to get over the reality that you are wearing diapers!! Resorts have hundreds of individuals that visit their facilities that are IC and will be very helpful in many ways! Pre-ship if you are going to be there for a couple of weeks or more, or take advantage of the additional medical bag with the airlines if you are going for several days!

Your being open with the Travel Coordinators, Airlines, Resort staff and you will find that they are experts in making your trip enjoyable!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, mirrored22 and Angelapinks
Yes, you most likely can take a medical bag for free on the plane
or
You can ship diapers to the resort they will hold for you to pickup whenyou get there...You can get it when not with the group as well if that feels better.

But, so you have supplies.

Disposal is as simple as the trash in your room, iif your bunking with someone that doesnt know, they most likely will know eventually.
Tell the hotel to get a cover on the bed, tell them your IC and they will most likely put you ina handicap room,with bigger bathroom and usually a bigger room as well. Usually the handicap room are very nice and big.

So, you have the supplies, you can put them in the trash in the room, the bed is protected.

Now it just comes to the times your out and about, if you wear a decent diaper you wont likely have to change when out at all, especially if your only dribbling and/or smaller amounts, just make sure you size for what you need X2 or more.

If anyone on the trip notices they will likely not say anything, if they do, tell them the truth your have some medical issues, and that its private, unless you want to talk about it. 99% of people will be and are not that surprised by somone having a medical need for diapers, as so long as your generic color and not an AB diaper your fine. Only someone that knows you would be anyone that may say something out of concern, not riducule at all.

You diaper wont show for the most part, even a megamax rarelt shows through clothes, now not if your in tight spandex and nothing else, but jeans or shorts are fine to conceal the diaper. Only place it is hard would be at the swiming pool, my suggestion there is to jump in from time to time, even say your getting warm if someone asks.

Leaks, have a bottle of water/drink with you, and if your leaking a bit, well spill your water/drink on your lap sitting down. easy to do, and not that big a deal. goto the bathroom rinse off anything and go back to the group, you will dry and being washed off with water in the bathroom there will be no harm no smell.

Noise, if this worries you, bring with in your pocket some individually wrapped life savers, they are really crinkly, and off them to friends or take one out and eat one from time to time. Anyone hearing any noise will think its the wrapper in your pocket not the diaper in you pants.

IMHO, wear a good tape on diaper, something that will last the day for you, something like a megamax should work for the whole day, make the bathroom as much as you can, and then anything else will be in the diaper, and you shouldnt have to change at all when your out for the day, in reality you could even forgo the bathrroom depending on how much you drink during the day. But making the bathroom most the time or for most the pee will ensure its not needing a change for the day. Ship the diapers to the hotel if you can and not too expensive, else a medical bag with diapers will be the option i'd take second. Shipping them is the easiest.

Then if someone notices, just tell them your having some medical issues and you need them to help, and that its sorta a personal matter, or tell them. But that would only be a friend, strangers are not going to ask you more than likely.

Telling the tour group is a good idea, they can facilitate the shipping of diapers to the hotel and/or getting a cover on the bed just in case, and if you let them know that you should be ok for the day trips, but you'd like to know about bathrooms available, they will let you know.
You are most likely not the first person on a this tour with IC issues, likely they know exactly what to do.

Plan on if using a megamax on 2-3 diapers a day, you can bring back the extras in your bag when you come home, better to have extra than not enough. You will likely only use 2 a day based on your minor amounts of pee, one in the day and one at night. the extra one is just in case

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, mirrored22, Angelapinks and 1 other person
Thank you guys for all your advice. I suppose I am overthinking it! Unfortunately the airline I'm using doesn't have a medical exception for incontinence supplies so hopefully I can just pack enough in my luggage. I will try my best to not worry about it, but I am an anxious mess in general so it will be a task! Sharing as well will be very difficult, but I am going to try my best to just own it and push forward with it.

Reactions: Edgewater, PadPhilosopher and Angelapinks
mirrored22 said:

I think I would email the resort to ask if there are any Incontinence supplies available at the resort or in the area. Who knows you might find some products we have not heard of and prove to be great. You could also say you are asking for somebody who would like to travel there but has a problem and wonders how it would be handled.

Last edited:
Reactions: DLWee, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
Well, you can ask the resort for if there is any IC supplies, but at best you will not know the qquality or the fit, and likely will be surprised with something.

My suggestion is just pay for an extra bag, cant actually beleive the dont have the medical bag free.
or
Ship the diapers to the resort, they will hold them for you whe you arrive.

Also, i'd not do any, i'm asking for a friend tyoe of stuff, that isnt needed or helpful, just state the need and go from there, this is a resort and you are not the only guest they have had the is IC in any way.

You want a cover on the matress for sure as well, so just call them and tell them you are IC and that you would like a cover on the matress in case there is an acident, and also that you will be shipping your IC product there ahead of time. They will get your the address and any special shipping information and put a cover on the matress.

Reactions: Edgewater and Angelapinks
mirrored22 said:
Unfortunately the airline I'm using doesn't have a medical exception for incontinence supplies so hopefully I can just pack enough in my luggage.
WTF? Every airline in the US is required to provide a medical exception for any needed medical supplies. Both my CPAP and diapers qualify and I have packed both on may flights. The airline does not get to choose which medical equipment/supplies are allowed.

• Love
Reactions: AccidentsHappen and Edgewater
AlwaysPissed said:
WTF? Every airline in the US is required to provide a medical exception for any needed medical supplies. Both my CPAP and diapers qualify and I have packed both on may flights. The airline does not get to choose which medical equipment/supplies are allowed.
I looked at their documentation and didn't see incontinence supplies listed in their list of approved devices/supplies. This is frontier btw. Maybe I'm mistaken?

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater
I fly Alaska, United, IcelandAir, Virgin Atlantic, British Air, and many others. None have ever given me a trouble for having a suitcase filled with diapers & my CPAP.
Its always free, too.

• Love
Reactions: Pino, Angelapinks and Edgewater
Me and my wife went to the DR last year. We flew spirit and had one lay over going there and back. I use 3 diaper a day normally so i packed enough diapers for each day we where there plus one extra day just in case we had a delayed flight in my luggage bag plus needed supplies. I also brought a carry on bag with 3 diapers in it. At the resort i put my used diapers in a disposable diaper bag and put them in the trash can in the room. The room was cleaned everyday so the trash got emptied also. I had no issues other then with tsa……. Everytime i went through the body scanner i was pulled off to the side and asked if i was wearing anything extra under my pants because the body scanner picked up the extra thickness in my groin each time. So i just said i had an ic brief on each time and there where no further questions except one time just my luck i must of got the new guy. He didnt not what ic was and did a groin and waistband check. They almost toke me to a private room for inspection. I started to create a fuss and a manager or something came over and had to clear things up. I dont know what the private inspection would have been but one could only imagine.

• Wow
Reactions: mirrored22, Angelapinks and Edgewater
AlwaysPissed said:
I fly Alaska, United, IcelandAir, Virgin Atlantic, British Air, and many others. None have ever given me a trouble for having a suitcase filled with diapers & my CPAP.
Its always free, too.
I take 10-14 day trips almost monthly (at least every 6-8 weeks) and can haul around my incontinence/bathing supplies in this 27G tote with no problem on all the US with all major carriers.

I've never flown the lesser brands like Sprit/Frontier/Allegiant, but I assume they adhere to the same ADA law as the rest.

I use ZT's to keep the lid on so my diapers don't go blowing all over the runway if the lid pops off while they're handling it. Be sure to keep a pack of ZipTies on the top of the contents; TSA will occasionally open up to inspect and usually reseals after placing their inspection tag.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 6.00.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 6.00.20 AM.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Love
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy, mirrored22 and Edgewater
ADA is a law that both clearly defines and/or 'implied' support for those with disabilities. As a result of the extensive support requirements of an individual who is disabled, products like IC wear and their long list of support products, which include things like baby powder falls under the ADA coverage as an 'implied' (but not stated) item(s).

Those organizations that choose to not include 'implied' support products can be taken to Court. Since most organization would prefer not to have a News Media individuals sticking a microphone in their face asking why they refused to allow (insert name here) to have their diapers shipped with them.

I have a long history of traveling nationally and internationally and have never been refused, let alone questioned as to why. Yes, a review of contains, but never a refusal! NOTE: I have always been open with TSA staff regarding my U-IC and the current condition of my diaper prior to entering the inspection area. That said, I do make an effort at being dry or semidry prior to inspection. NOTE: If TSA offers a private room, take it, as it is for your security of not having detailed personal question asked in a public setting!

Last edited:
Reactions: mirrored22
Back